Saturday, December 13, 2008

YES WE CAN AND YES WE DID

You won't believe this, I told Beth. What? I just got a job. NO! Where? Borders Books at National Airport.

Our brainstorming paid off. Exactly one day after we put our heads together, I was employed.

I started this post on Saturday, December 13, but I got distracted and forgot to finish it. It's now 2:16 AM on Monday morning, January 12. I'm loving the job at Borders Books. But far more importantly, shortly after posting my previous blog I was contacted by the Presidential Inauguration Committee. I started out making calls from the call center. Then I got a call myself. I'd been chosen to be a team leader. I've been going to meetings and helping other volunteers get signed up ever since. Tomorrow morning I start training other volunteers.

I am delerious with excitement. I can barely eat, I can't sleep and I have to get up at the crack of dawn. I'm preparing to join thousands of my fellow volunteers on a journey involving many near-sleepless nights and I can tell you that every last one of us is out of our mind with joy over that prospect.

There's not a lot more I can say, for various reasons, including a level of confidentiality I've sworn to. But I can say that all of us are committed, dedicated and determined to make this event as accessible and enjoyable to as many people as humanly possible.

This is without a doubt the most exciting, and the most important, moment of my 64 years on this earth. I can hardly talk about it without weeping like a child. And I'm not the only one. Not by a long shot.

And that, dear reader, is all I have to say about it for now. I'm sure I'll have plenty later. But if you're in town, or if you're planning on coming to town for the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States, it will be something you will remember and cherish for the rest of your born days.

2 Comments:

Blogger OBloodyHell said...

You DO realize you're working in a place which gave in to Islamic demands to suppress Free Speech and pulled those magazines which re-printed the controversial "cartoons" which "offended Islam".

Sure, they gave it a bogus excuse of "to protect the patrons and employees from violence", but, let's face it -- if the same threats had occurred from Xtian groups about some "art" book containing photos of such wonders as "Piss Christ" or "Virgin Mary of Elephant Dung", they would have told said groups to f*** off.

Even if such threats were from an extremist anti-abortion faction (some of which HAVE reprehensibly committed violence, giving the threat substantial credibility) about some popular book promoting or glorifying abortion, Borders would have stood their ground.

But Islam, well, they can suppress our speech any way, any time, they want to, and that's JUST FINE with Borders Books.

Me?

I'll never shop at Borders again.

Ever.

I won't deal with two-faced hypocrites whenever I have an option.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Johnston said...

Hell, I have no idea what you're talking about but I defend your right to say it.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home